Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The New Job.

For those of you who may not know, I left my position as graphic designer at Holiday media in Halifax and have taken a labour job here in Windsor. Although the pay is less, I'll be saving in excess of $300 a month in travel expenses. I've been to my new job for two days now, and I have to say, it is such a pleasure to work with my hands again. It has been a long time since I've had the pleasure of being paid to work outdoors.

I'm working for a gentleman just outside of town who is preparing to build a home. There is a great deal of landscaping to do as well as carpentry and maintenance on his current building. I'm assisting him on various projects, everything from assembling scaffolding and installing rain gutter screens to weeding the gardens. I doubt very much that any two days will be the same. It is a real pleasure to work alongside my new boss, he is friendly and very easy to work with - and he seems to be a natural teacher. He takes the time to explain anything that we're doing, allowing me to learn new skills as we go.

I truly feel that this job is a blessing from the Lord, not only will it allow me the time I will need for deputation and to put the finishing touches on the house - but it will serve as some very practical training before I go to the camp and begin to assist with maintenance and upkeep. I've already been able to snag a couple of great ideas for shop organization, that I think might be very helpful at the camp. As much as I feel my final year or so at Holiday Media was training in perseverance, patience and respect, it really feels like this job is another module of training.

working away...
Grant

No comments: