Saturday, February 13, 2010

P.A.T.H. Book Report (vol. 2)

This was the second of the five books that are required for reading prior to going to P.A.T.H. training. There is a selection of eight books to choose from, the five posted here will be those we picked to read. This selection falls under the Missionary Family Relationships category and as such I think is intended to give us an idea of what it might be like on the field.

Letters Never Sent
by Ruth Van Reken
Throughout the latter portion of this book, the author brings some insightful truths. Her words are helpful and encouraging, I can certainly understand how this book is helpful in counseling applications.
Throughout this book, the author attempts to express some of her experiences, initially as a third culture child, and then as a cross cultural missionary herself. Although it can be infinitely helpful to read of the experiences and struggles of someone else, I believe it is also important to remember that no two people will struggle the same way or even respond similarly. I say this because I felt as though the "hindsight" of writing from the perspective of a child from the vantage point of mature healing left me as the reader feeling a bit daft for not having had that level of wisdom or composed expression when a child myself.
The relationship between Ministry and Family that is presented throughout this book gave me cause for pause as well. I am uncertain if I entirely agree with the presentation of this relationship in the book. If anything else it has prompted me to consider the topic more closely.
It is a simple read and would certainly be worth your while to read it. The author is transparent and practical and you will learn from her experiences. We can certainly all take something away from lessons shared!

Update:
 I have had the opportunity to hear this author speak at a recent conference. Referencing this book, she spoke about her experiences and the purpose in writing the book in the first place. Her personal epilogue to the book afforded some clarity for me that had not initially contributed to my reading of it.

I had felt that perhaps the concept of writing as an adult through the eyes of a child was disingenuous, when in fact this was not how the letters were written at all. Ruth explained to us that she was not trying to re-experience or re-imagine, she was, in the form of letter writing, experiencing these things for the first time. These letters are her dealing with her childhood experiences for the first time. This revelation certainly sheds an entirely different light on the subject matter.

No comments: