Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Preparing Missionaries: For Intercultural Communication

I just finished re-reading a book from my Bible School days. I had completely forgotten about it and came across it last week as I was tidying up my office. The focus of this book is cultural anthropology, and although it takes a very practical approach to the subject, some very interesting points are made throughout. The author makes a point of communicating that our Western Culture, and our self centered view of the world can adversely impact our ministry. If we are not careful to consider the culture of those we wish to reach, we may alienate them with our own cultural milieu. One does not have to be like a 'Westerner' to be a Christian.

I found the book very insightful, and although I may not entirely agree with the author's views regarding group evangelism, the insights here are very valuable and thought provoking.

I am off now to Martock to make some Beaver Tails for the day. Have a blessed day!

No comments: