Tuesday, January 29, 2013

CSPN Conference Introduction

I had a full day of travel yesterday, my alarm went off at 2:15am to launch me into my journey. After a delay due to some technical problems with the plane, I flew out of Moncton (where it was -17˚ by the way) and through to Pearson and LaGuardia, ultimately landing in Richmond Virginia. I was met there by Pat Elford and some other folks attending the conference. We arrived at the International Learning Center (a ministry of IMB, an entity of the Southern Baptist Convention) at about 6:30 local time, just in time for a nice supper in the cafeteria. The accommodations are very nice, the staff friendly and helpful; it will be a very pleasant stay for the week. I wish I could post pictures, but alas, I have no picture producing apparatus. By the way, it is supposed to be 21˚ here today, it feels like May back home. The Child Safety Protection Network Conference has a full schedule that includes break out sessions, workshops, a plenary speaker and times of worship together. There are representatives here from 37 mission organizations taking part in the various training sessions.

My first scheduled sessions this afternoon are for the "Newcomers Orientation". It is a prerequisite seminar that is intended to provide a common foundation regarding the reality of abuse in the Christian setting, how abuse occurs, and a basis for both preventing and response, and facilitate information regarding the goals and progress that has been made to date on the Child Safety and Protection Network.

It is a difficult topic, but, sadly it is a reality, and as Camp managers we need to be aware and prepared. The safety and security of our campers and staff is a huge responsibility and not something to be approached lightly.

No comments: